Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 14/05/2020, 9:09

Here's a quick provisional list of the roadmap to the new version of ITN.

Friday May 15th MD 64
Sunday May 17th MD 65
Between Monday May 18th and Wednesday May 20th creation old matches database
Wednesday May 20th MD 66: Old website will be "locked", it will be possible to see matches results for some hours but the database will be backed up right after the update and transferred to the new site, so no more inputs by users in the old site.
The hosting company will be given the input to proceed to ip switchover, so the dns will be updated with the new address. Process to change worldwide takes from a few hours to 12-15 hours, so during the European night the new site will start to appear.
Users will be unable to login anyway. Due to improved security and GDPR compliance, all users will be asked to provide consent, to be able to do so, everyone will have to reapply to the game, although their profile won't be deleted and it will be matched to the new login. So, for users nothing changes, just they have to apply again and fill the consent module. When they will be approved and they get in the site, everything will be like it was in the old site.
Thursday May 21st
A small squad of volunteers will be allowed in to help me find bugs, missing links or whatever error in the fresh copy of the official website.
I expect users to be allowed to login between the evening and Friday morning.
I will use the whole day to update the game engine to adapt to the new tables and columns that the new website brings with it, and for end of season tweaks.
Friday May 22nd
I will run some dummy updates to check everything is ok with the match engine. Due to these tests that could take the whole day, plus the fact that users probably lost the whole of Thursday, and that the official update could have some problems the first time, Friday night update will be run on Saturday morning.
Saturday May 23rd MD 1 of Season 38
Everything will be checked again after the update to see if everything went ok. Eventual fixes during the day.
Monday May 25th MD 2
Due to the update run on Saturday, Sunday's update will be ran on Monday.
After that normal dates are resumed.
Yoni Raff
Posts: 697
Joined: 13/01/2009, 9:11

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Yoni Raff » 14/05/2020, 10:07

Thanks Ian. 2 quick questions:

1. New website will be at the same address?
2. How much time will there be between the site going live on Friday and the update on Saturday? I won't be able to login between Friday afternoon (around 6pm CET) and Saturday night.
S08 - C4 Champions (Norwich City)
S19 - B1 Champions (Hansa Rostock)
S21 - C5 Champions (Real Zaragoza)
S37 - B4 Champions (Borussia Dortmund)
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 14/05/2020, 10:19

Yoni Raff wrote:
14/05/2020, 10:07
Thanks Ian. 2 quick questions:

1. New website will be at the same address?
2. How much time will there be between the site going live on Friday and the update on Saturday? I won't be able to login between Friday afternoon (around 6pm CET) and Saturday night.
1. Same address. What happens on Wed to Thu night is that the hosting company tells the servers worldwide that itnsoccer.com is now moved to a new address. So you will always write itnsoccer.com anyway, just the ip address is changed and will point to the new site.
What may eventually happen is that if someone has the site on the pc/phone cache, it could still show the old one as it's saved in the cache. It may need a F5 refresh.

2. I hope to release the access between late Thursday, or Friday morning, so that we can have the whole Friday available to users. I will update as soon as I know. If the time is short because it takes longer and I open late on Friday, then I may think to run the update late on Saturday.
User avatar
Owen Sutherland
Posts: 3235
Joined: 09/01/2009, 20:57
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Owen Sutherland » 14/05/2020, 10:25

looking forward to it!

It's going to be a challenging time for you Ian, hope it goes well!!
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 14/05/2020, 10:27

Owen Sutherland wrote:
14/05/2020, 10:25
looking forward to it!

It's going to be a challenging time for you Ian, hope it goes well!!
Thanks Owen, yes it will be a good couple of days :lol: Took 3 days off work to make sure I'm there all the time, fingers crossed it all goes fine!
User avatar
Dave Lockhart
Posts: 1489
Joined: 09/01/2009, 7:17
Location: Phalaborwa, Kruger National Park ,South Africa

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Dave Lockhart » 14/05/2020, 12:36

Great news Ian, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

"all users will be asked to provide consent"

How will that part work will the consent module appear when you try and log in?
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 14/05/2020, 13:38

Dave Lockhart wrote:
14/05/2020, 12:36
Great news Ian, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

"all users will be asked to provide consent"

How will that part work will the consent module appear when you try and log in?
No Dave, you have to register to the game, like you are a new user. To register, you are prompted with the privacy consents.
Then your registration is matched with your existing profile, so nothing changes for you, but if you just try to login without registering, you will get an error and won't be allowed in.
User avatar
Dave Lockhart
Posts: 1489
Joined: 09/01/2009, 7:17
Location: Phalaborwa, Kruger National Park ,South Africa

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Dave Lockhart » 14/05/2020, 15:32

Ian Foletto wrote:
14/05/2020, 13:38
Dave Lockhart wrote:
14/05/2020, 12:36
Great news Ian, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

"all users will be asked to provide consent"

How will that part work will the consent module appear when you try and log in?
No Dave, you have to register to the game, like you are a new user. To register, you are prompted with the privacy consents.
Then your registration is matched with your existing profile, so nothing changes for you, but if you just try to login without registering, you will get an error and won't be allowed in.

Cheers
User avatar
Tom Spurrier
Posts: 1409
Joined: 08/01/2010, 15:52

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Tom Spurrier » 14/05/2020, 15:39

Ian Foletto wrote:
14/05/2020, 9:09
I will use the whole day to update the game engine to adapt to the new tables and columns that the new website brings with it, and for end of season tweaks.
Appreciate the work Ian, looks like i rejoined at the right time. Can we get an idea as to the end of season tweaks, or is it a surprise?
Sampdoria

Cardiff
Champions of C8 in season 23

Chievo Verona:
Season 16 - Champions of D6
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 14/05/2020, 17:34

Tom Spurrier wrote:
14/05/2020, 15:39
Ian Foletto wrote:
14/05/2020, 9:09
I will use the whole day to update the game engine to adapt to the new tables and columns that the new website brings with it, and for end of season tweaks.
Appreciate the work Ian, looks like i rejoined at the right time. Can we get an idea as to the end of season tweaks, or is it a surprise?
Not a mystery Tom, just I have to write down all the pieces as soon as I have them ready, so I'll post them as I go along.
James Howe
Posts: 309
Joined: 18/01/2016, 21:05

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by James Howe » 14/05/2020, 21:51

Amazing, great work Ian! Appreciate your hard work here !!
User avatar
John Corson
Posts: 1273
Joined: 17/01/2009, 12:42
Location: NZ

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by John Corson » 15/05/2020, 1:30

Hope all goes smoothly in the change over :)

If their is a personal issue from our end, what would be the process in contacting you or someone clued up on things for assistance, I seem to have problems with my PC when things change as you know Ian.

:)
"If you Believe"
User avatar
Dave Lockhart
Posts: 1489
Joined: 09/01/2009, 7:17
Location: Phalaborwa, Kruger National Park ,South Africa

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Dave Lockhart » 15/05/2020, 5:45

Will the message board still be operational whilst the new site is being uploaded Ian?

If it doesn't affect you too much, it might be worth you running the update later on the Saturday as you say just in case people aren't able to spend much time on the site on the Friday, will also allow people a little extra time to get used to the new layout etc.
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 15/05/2020, 7:26

Dave Lockhart wrote:
15/05/2020, 5:45
Will the message board still be operational whilst the new site is being uploaded Ian?

If it doesn't affect you too much, it might be worth you running the update later on the Saturday as you say just in case people aren't able to spend much time on the site on the Friday, will also allow people a little extra time to get used to the new layout etc.
This replies to both Dave and John, the only good side of having a separate forum from the main site is that it will be operational during all the time, and so you can PM me on here if you need assistance. Also the ITN email is active if someone doesn't have access to the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I'll see what is the best solution as I go along, but I'll keep that in mind.
User avatar
Kevin Beck
Posts: 3961
Joined: 09/01/2009, 19:02

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Kevin Beck » 16/05/2020, 23:18

Brilliant Ian, looking forward to the new site up and running. Thanks for all your efforts in making it happen 👍🏻
Celtic
S38 - Prem, Runners Up
S37 - Prem, 5th; Prem Cup, Runners Up
S36 - Prem, 3rd
S35 - Prem, 8th; ITN Cup, Runners Up
S34 - A1, Runners Up; ITN Cup, Winners
S33 - A1, 8th
S32 - B1, Winners
User avatar
Neil Roberts
Posts: 2106
Joined: 07/12/2008, 23:34

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Neil Roberts » 19/05/2020, 21:05

Will the road map be posted in the Game Status?
Neil Roberts
The Blades!!!
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 20/05/2020, 8:28

Neil Roberts wrote:
19/05/2020, 21:05
Will the road map be posted in the Game Status?
Hi Neil, to be honest I already wrote in the game status and in the newspaper.
Anyway as per your suggestion, I've posted again now keeping that only message so it's more visible.
Also, there will be clear evidence on the new site while it's still closed so all users can see.
Thanks!
User avatar
Matt Sanders
Posts: 469
Joined: 09/01/2009, 18:40
Location: London

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Matt Sanders » 20/05/2020, 10:01

Ian Foletto wrote:
14/05/2020, 9:09
Users will be unable to login anyway. Due to improved security and GDPR compliance, all users will be asked to provide consent, to be able to do so, everyone will have to reapply to the game, although their profile won't be deleted and it will be matched to the new login. e d
Hi Ian. This all sounds great.

Quick question on the above - how will the profiles be matched? Will it be by username, actual name, email address? Just so that we know whether we need to sign up again with the same username/email address etc.
Norwich City
Ian Foletto
Posts: 3426
Joined: 08/01/2009, 9:44

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Ian Foletto » 20/05/2020, 10:17

Matt Sanders wrote:
20/05/2020, 10:01
Ian Foletto wrote:
14/05/2020, 9:09
Users will be unable to login anyway. Due to improved security and GDPR compliance, all users will be asked to provide consent, to be able to do so, everyone will have to reapply to the game, although their profile won't be deleted and it will be matched to the new login. e d
Hi Ian. This all sounds great.

Quick question on the above - how will the profiles be matched? Will it be by username, actual name, email address? Just so that we know whether we need to sign up again with the same username/email address etc.
Yes, instruction will be evident on the new site, anyway I can tell you already you have to match username and password with the existing one. They have to be exactly the same, so the system recognize you.
User avatar
Matt Sanders
Posts: 469
Joined: 09/01/2009, 18:40
Location: London

Re: Roadmap to ITN 3.0

Post by Matt Sanders » 20/05/2020, 10:22

Great, thanks!
Norwich City
Post Reply