Crea sito
Register Login with your social network DO NOT USE YET!

Improve ITN - about the game

Improve ITN - about the game

Postby Ian Foletto » 05/04/2018, 13:57

This is another group for ITN improvements. This won't be a closed group with users with some skills, this will be a more open discussion, in order to find the best solutions we then try to add in the new skin.
For this reason I ask you all not to post random things crossing many subjects, that can be done on the suggestions forum. Then we'll take one subject at a time from there, and talk about it.
Everyone input is welcome!

Re: Improve ITN - about the game

Postby Ian Foletto » 05/04/2018, 14:27

1st Idea.

Database is 90% full.
About 30% of this database is match statistics.
Those stats are the game highlights (not the result, score, attendance etc...).
When I took over the site, Andy (the previous gamemaster) told me he limited the access to the actual season, to avoid too much site usage.
Stats though are stored season after season.
I have yet to check if the removal of this would cause other problems to the game, but, in case it didn't, it would free up to 30% of the space, meaning we would be able to add new stuff for teams or players.
One possible idea is to setup a small site on another space as a ITN archive, where you could see all matches from previous seasons with all their stats always there.
Do you think this is something of interest?

Postby James Templeman » 05/04/2018, 15:25

If this frees up space that will allow improvements to teams, players and features then I would be for moving all stats to a small site that would act as an archive.

What about all the retired players that are on the system, do they take up space and can anything be done with them?

Postby Ian Foletto » 05/04/2018, 17:30

James Templeman wrote:What about all the retired players that are on the system, do they take up space and can anything be done with them?

Despite I thought it too, retired players are not a problem.
Just think as a comparison, all present and past players + their historical stats + their stats, skills, age etc... only account for 10% of the database.
Matches played since season 1 instead use 26%, and match stats a massive 40%.

So, even if we added 6-7 columns to the players table to add a few features it wouldn't go up more than 12-13% from the actual 10, even keeping all the old players, but removing only the old match stats (while keeping the matches played without stats, as it is now for older seasons) would cut a 30-35%.

Example. Things that could be done with just one more column is adding players favourite position (so that managers can sort players in another way, as it has been requested by many).

P.s., just for stats lovers, matches played in ITN history are 402,675.

Postby gary robinson » 05/04/2018, 17:36

How about clearing all the old stuff on the opening page ( game status )..loads of old stuff there.
Would clearing old messages help buy just keeping it to two pages a team

Postby Ian Foletto » 05/04/2018, 17:40

gary robinson wrote:How about clearing all the old stuff on the opening page ( game status )..loads of old stuff there.

My actual idea (but it's just a thought so far, so I'm open to suggestions) is that that page goes completely.
I think an opening page with team data plus relevant news would be better.
Yet, when we get on that page, I think I'll ask for suggestions here, maybe showing here a preview and listen to what users would like to see immediately.

Postby Owen Sutherland » 05/04/2018, 21:45

Another thought, I think there's about 15 seasons of old D league stats ( season 11 to around 25). Can that data be removed?

Postby Dave Lockhart » 06/04/2018, 5:04

Ian Foletto wrote:
gary robinson wrote:How about clearing all the old stuff on the opening page ( game status )..loads of old stuff there.

My actual idea (but it's just a thought so far, so I'm open to suggestions) is that that page goes completely.
I think an opening page with team data plus relevant news would be better.
Yet, when we get on that page, I think I'll ask for suggestions here, maybe showing here a preview and listen to what users would like to see immediately.

Good idea Ian, most of the stuff on the opening page is contained in the forum or on the help section anyway, also having an archive site would make perfect sense as well.

Postby Ian Foletto » 16/04/2018, 16:23

I've been asked by users recently about lower league teams being able to beat Prem teams.
First of all be sure that nothing in the code of the game has been changed.
Yet something in the game has.

I remember talking about this in the past, I won't look for the topics now, but some of you may remember.
We had superplayers and crazy hidden attributes. Users asked for this to be removed, and I agreed with them, it made little sense and was too much.
Yet, despite being an error, it had one right side. It helped having a broad range on players.
When we removed them, I warned about what could happen, and it is happening now.

ITN has a short range. 0-7 is very little, considering that players are born at 3 or 4 in their main attribute.
This means that all teams have Legendaries, and a Legendary defender in the D level is exactly as strong as one in the Premier.
I tried all I could to broad the range, by allowing to go over 7, by adding traits, by slowing down training, but still the range is small, and slowing training of course made the game more boring as few improvements on attributes are happening.

This issue came up now, but in truth, I've been working on it for the last month, and more, we worked about it last year with the previous skin that stalled.
This is the idea that came up, I talk to you here, as we're working for a ITN2.0 (or maybe this should be regarded as 3.0 as a big change already happened with the actual site), to hear your opinions.

Attributes now are from 0 to 7, with sublevels. Players are born at 3 or 4.
If we double the range, from 0 to 14, we have similar results but have a longer range.
This way we could, on one side, allow a quicker training, as the road to the max would be longer, while it is still slower to get to the top. So it could serve both purpose.
The idea is that there should be a few Legendary players (like in real world), like 40-50 in the whole world, and multi-Legendary even more rare. So that a Legendary player+Traits+Mentality really is the actual Messi.
So training, should be toned in a way that few reach the top, a bit more reach a A level value, the majority stay at lower levels.
This way strong players would be at the top, and would make the difference.
Yet it wouldn't be boring anyway, as even average players would still get 3-4-5-6 levels during their careers, and managers would see how quick they progress and what potential they might have.

Postby Ian Foletto » 26/04/2018, 14:46

Update:

I'm working on player stats.
I "should" (fingers crossed) be able to separate stats a bit better.

So the idea would be:
League and Cups matches increase both Career and Club stats.
Intl and IntlU21 matches increase Career stats but not Club stats.
Non Comp matches doesn't increase any total. They are only counted as non comp for the season and reset at the beginning of the new season.

Obviously I cannot remove those stats from existing players.

Return to End Of Season 32