Crea sito
Register Login with your social network DO NOT USE YET!

Capello names England provisional squad

Discussions of the real game

Re: Capello names England provisional squad

Postby Matthew Gedye » 02/06/2010, 19:05

If Heskey does all that, why does he not play much for Villa? IMO, he's a very good athlete and target man, but lacks a bit of technical skill so won't get many goals. Below the Premiership, where the style of play is generally simpler and more direct, there are quite a lot of Heskey-types to bring the ball down and hold it up. Better teams can play through the midfield more and so can use 2 strikers that are more likely to score goals - I'd say England can do that. It's unfortunate that England don't have a super all-round striker like Drogba or Torres.

Quick question for Matt Ing:
Who would you rather have playing for Wycombe, Heskey or Lambert?
COYR
Southampton
I will make it my purpose on this game to succeed by doing it my way

Postby Matthew Ing » 02/06/2010, 19:28

Heskey doesnt play for Villa, because arguably Carew is the best target man in the division. Carew could play for any top side in Europe in my opinion and I again find it difficult to accept that Heskey isnt good for us because he doesnt play that much domestically.

Matt - Lambert is a top, top player in the lower divisions but I would take Heskey. He doesnt score goals but he really sets them up, we line up very attacking under Waddock and the midfield is quick to support the attack, we also rely on pace to hit teams quickly. Heskey would be ideal. Lambert is top notch but in any side I would use Heskey, be it Arsenal, Cardiff, Saints, Wycombe or that hopeless side down the road, Oxford United.
Malaga manager

Postby Matthew Gedye » 03/06/2010, 11:03

Have you wathced Lambert play Matt? He does a lot more than just score goals. If all we wanted was a lump who could hit the onion bag a few times, we'd have kept Rasiak!

It's true that Lambert doesn't possess the greatest of pace, which is why he doesn't play higher up, but he's not as fat and slow as some people seem to think. He's awesome as a target man too for when the midfield run out of ideas. I'd have Lambert every day of the week over Heskey, but maybe I'm biased!
COYR
Southampton

Postby Kevin Beck » 03/06/2010, 11:22

No disrespect Matt, but there is a reason Lambert has played lower league all his life, and continues to do so, and Heskey as always played at the top level of the game, and still is. Lets not start comparing Heskey with Lambert, it will become almost as ridiculous as your bum chum talking about Davis being England's number one. May as well compare a Ferrari with a 3 wheel van.

Whilst I think England play better football without Heskey, I believe England are more effective with Heskey on the field playing a 4-4-2 set up. As Matt rightly said, his hold up play, touch, getting the best out of Rooney, and bringing the likes of Lampard and Gerrard into the game are all qualities England have with Heskey up top.

I would like to see England work on a 4-3-3/4-5-1 set up mind, to accommodate Gerrard in his best position, whilst still being able to play Lampard and an holding midfielder. Heskey wouldn't be in my team playing this style, as the ball would get played through midfield, through the channels, and use the width created with the change of system.

I'd go with:

--------------------- JAMES ----------------------

---JOHNSON---FERDINAND---TERRY--------COLE---

----------------------BARRY----------------------

-MILNER--------LAMPARD-----GERRARD-------COLE-
---------------------------------¦
----------------------ROONEY---------------------
Kevin Beck
Celtic

Postby Matthew Gedye » 03/06/2010, 12:33

Not saying that I'd put Lambert in the England team, far from it, but the fact that I'd chose him for Saints over someone who is in the England team sets alarm bells ringing. As you say Kev, England have enough quality to play a 451/433 system without a player specifically as a target man. There are players like Bent, who are scoring goals, that we could be using to greater advantage.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 433/451, but it is a very effective formation when a team has the personnel to play it.

Maybe somethong like:

.....................Hart.......................
Johnson...Terry...Ferdinand...Cole
..............Barry...Lampard.............
Lennon.........Gerrard..............Milner
.....................Rooney........................
COYR
Southampton

Postby Matthew Ing » 03/06/2010, 17:28

Of course I have seen Lambert play, I saw him play many times for Bristol Rovers, probably long before you even really knew about the lad himself. He is a top lower league centre forward but as Kev put it, your comparing a 3 wheeled van to Ferrari.
Malaga manager

Postby Jon Smart » 19/06/2018, 17:41

Stephen Wilkinson wrote:Thought I'd post this here in case anybody hasn't seen it or anything. Some suprises in the squad it would seem.

England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

(Taken from bbc sport football) More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 673706.stm

Carragher in the squad? The time when he returns to the England squad is probably after his and Liverpool's worst season for quite a while. Didn't expect to see Stephen Warnock in there as well.

How the times have changed in a decade.
S 13: Prem WINNERS
S 22 Champions League WINNERS
S 10,12: Prem Cup WINNERS
S 21: A1 WINNERS
S 18: A2 WINNERS
S 5,18: A Cup WINNERS
S 15: World Cup WINNERS (Scotland)
S 12,14,21: ITN Cup WINNERS
S 12,18,21: MOTS

Postby dave mcmahon » 25/06/2018, 10:38

I know :) It's as though it was 10 years ago :shock:
Wise men say only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you!

SUNDERLAND

Previous

Return to Footie Forum